What happens after an automobile accident?
If you’ve ever been involved in an automobile accident, you know the first minutes after an accident can be chaotic. Many drivers today are overwhelmed by shock they often forget what steps to take to protect themselves and loved ones down the line. Penny Insurance has a few tips to remember immediately following the accident:
- Check for injuries in both parties: Seek immediate medical aid if anyone has been hurt in the accident
- Remain calm: Your first communication with the other party should be limited to ascertaining whether medical assistance is needed. Do not argue or discuss the accident – anything said may be seen as admitting or placing fault.
- Notify the police: You’ll want to have the accident properly documented for future claims purposes. Police will also be able to talk to witnesses at the scene to determine fault. You should only discuss the accident with police officers and not with the other driver or witnesses on the scene.
- Take pictures: You need to have your own documentation, so don’t forget to take pictures of your car and the other driver’s car as soon as possible.
- Exchange contact information: You’ll need pertinent information from the other party involved including their name, license number, phone, address, make & model of the car involved, plate number and any injuries. You should also get the contact name and number of any other passengers and witnesses at the scene. Finally, obtain the name, department and badge number of any police officers involved with accident investigation.
- Call your insurance agent: After the accident, don’t forget to call your agent to report the details and situation. They will be able to give you advice on filing a report and claim.
Above all, it is important to remain calm. You will be able to complete necessary tasks post-accident only if you are composed and in control. If you ever need assistance with what to do at the scene of an accident, your agent is always here to help advise you on next steps!
Original article by Will. Read more at Pennyinsuranceagency.com.